Common reactions to divorce in children:
1. Angry and highly critical of their parents’ decision.
2. Depressed or withdrawn from both parents, while seeking stronger peer connections.
3. Feeling rejected by one or both parents.
4. Better behavior hoping that this will save their parents marriage.
5. Involvement in risk-taking activities (truancy, drugs and alcohol, sexual activity, etc.)
6. Withdrawn from one parent as a form of punishment while siding with the other parent.
For children of all ages, divorce erodes and shakes the very foundation of their world. Therapy can help teens process through many complex emotions associated with divorce.
Give us a call (210) 849-7264